Google
 

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Fried Potatoes and Onions

Okay, here we go. Easy, easy, easy. Grab some potatoes and some onions. I use either Idaho, Red or Yukon Gold. I do not use Russet's from Wisconsin or anywhere but Idaho. It's not that I have anything against Wisconsin, but their potatoes are NASTY in my opinion. And my opinion is really important on this blog. Just do as I say! No Wisconsin potatoes!!! Now some onions would be lovely. I love these Peru sweet onions. I also love Vidalias when they are in season. Mmmmm... Okay, it gets a little scary here. I am kind of a freak with hot popping oil situations. My suggestion is to cover yourself up as much as you can. Like maybe put on your long winter coat. Some leather gloves. A beekeepers hat and veil, if you have one handy. It's just a suggestion.

Let this oil warm up while you dice your potatoes into little...dices... and if you are thinking about peeling them the answer is no! That takes entirely too much effort. I would never make this dish if I had to peel potatoes. I hate peeling potatoes.

Does that look like enough oil to you? It wasn't even close to enough. I had to add a bunch more after I threw the potatoes in. It would be better to start with enough oil, but it is not a tragedy to add more, just make sure the heat is turned up to medium high. You will have to stay here next to the stove the whole time you are cooking, so don't be afraid to get it hot. Oh, this is canola oil. You gotta be heart healthy when you cook! You could use olive oil, if you wanted, but mine was way across the house in the pantry and the canola is right there near the stove, so uh, score one for the canola.


Hello you pretty red potatoes. Now get brown! Just stir a little and let them get good and brown. Do you have one of these? It is for Defensive Cooking, which I am all about. I really don't like getting hurt. This hold in a lot of the pops. You will probably have to put a real lid on for about 5 or 10 minutes so the potatoes get tender. I had to cover these for about 5 minutes. If they get brown and aren't tender yet, just cover 'em. You could cover'em first and then brown second, but I live a renegade cooking lifestyle.
Oh, that was about 6 potatoes, but those red potatoes aren't very big. Here are 2 onions that I sliced. I like to leave them big so I can pick them back out at the end and give myself more onions than potatoes. This is okay, because my husband wants more potatoes anyway. We are a team like that, each of us always pulling equal weight in our marriage. You believe me, right?

Oh yeah, those look fabulous. work it baby, work it. My technique with the pancake turner is legendary.
Helloooo onions! Add the onions when the potatoes are done 'cause the onions only take a few minutes. Add more oil if you are in doubt. You want the onions to be gleaming with oil. It is a nice healthy gleam! Now mix it all up and cook just until the onions go limp and become slightly translucent. I like to keep a little crunch to them.
Oh, man, a plate of heaven. Now load this down with some freshly ground salt and pepper and enjoy. If you are freaky like my husband you will now add about 3 cups f ketchup, but I would never ever mess with this perfection by adding a condiment! Burt don't worry, I won't judge you too harshly if you do.
Spell check just picked up nine misspellings for potato. I know how to spell potato. I am not Dan Quayle! Hey, that rhymes! Maybe I should start a poetry site! HAHAHA

Anyway, my problem is not spelling, it is typing. I am a dork typist. Just thought you would like to know. Now I have to hit spell check again and pick up the mistakes I just made.


4 comments:

sallynoel said...

Those potatoes look freaking delicious! I really should use more red potatoes.

Tiffy said...

These were sooo good! I added a green bell pepper to mine though.
I loved it, great blog.

I'm Stranger than Fiction said...

I am SO making these later. oh lord they look good!

cinderfeller said...

yummy, thanks for the idea!